Monday, February 13, 2012

Brazil #15 Rio/Favela Tour

Krissy and I decided on a guided tour of one of the Favela's in Rio. Through our hostel we had a tour of Rochina, which is the largest favela in Brazil and one of the largest in Southern America. Rochina was in the news a few weeks before we went on the tour (21 Nov. 2011), it was raided by the Brazilian equivalent of SWAT, called POPE down there. The drug/gangsters were killed or forced out of Rochina, and it's a much better place for it. Brazil and Rio are in a heavy duty clean up of the Favela's in preparation for the World Cup and the Olympics. We actually took motorcycle taxis up to the top of Rochina. Scary and fun. I chose to hold on with both hands for dear life, so pictures of Rochina start once up in it.












These are the motorcycle taxis I took up. Yes(mom and dad) I had a helmet on!




A view from the top!




























There's a lot I wanted to share from this trip to Rochina. So I'll break it up into two posts. Stay tuned!!

No comments: